Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Unit 3

1.  Based on a scale of 1 to 10, I rate my physical wellbeing a 10.  I pay close attention to nutrition, fitness, and sleep.  I am a healthy weight. I have no physical restrictions.  I have no diseases.  My blood pressure and cholesterol are healthy. For a 45-year-old, I have very few physical complaints.  Spiritually, I would rate myself a 9.  I have a strong faith and a deep reliance on divine providence.  I have moments of fear and doubt, but they usually do not last very long.  I know am loved, and that God is in control.  I spend quiet time in prayer every morning.  I seek daily guidance from His word.  I still have much to learn in this area, and much to put into action, but I am not where I used to be - that is progress :).  Psychologically, this one is closer to an 8.  I have suffered from low self esteem and an eating disorder in my past.  I was very self blaming and carried unnecessary guilt for things I really had no control over for a long time.  I am making progress.  I am learning to believe in and trust myself, but I still have my moments.

2.  Physical goal: To completely heal my hamstring injury through daily physical therapy, heat, and rest.  I would like to have this injury healed by June of this year.  I will follow the prescription for healing daily.  I can measure my progress by charting my flexibility gains weekly.
Spiritual goal:  To read through the bible in one year.  I began this task in January.  Following a daily schedule, I can complete this goal this year.
Psychological: To learn the skill of visualization.  I intend to carve out three 20 minutes sessions per week for one month to practice meditation with visualization.  This one will be tougher to measure in terms of and end-goal.  I believe the progress will be something that is felt more than something concrete.

3.  I discussed the activities for each goal back in question #2 :)

4.  I participated in a relaxation exercise called The Crime of the Century. We practiced the rainbow technique for relaxation.  We focused on 7 different body regions starting with the color red coming from the base of the spine cultivating a feeling of being grounded and safe.  We then moved to the belly button region and used the color orange symbolizing a feeling of centeredness.  He then moved to the upper stomach area.  For this area he used the color yellow symbolizing love.  From there we moved to the upper chest and used the color emerald green.  This color represents the ability to give love.  Next was the throat area and the color aqua blue to symbolize the ability to feel like you have a purpose in life.  You have willpower and creativity.  Then we moved to the forehead region and used the color indigo blue symbolic of balance within yourself.  Lastly, he moved to the top of the head and used the color violet that represents feeling connected to the universe.  It was interesting to visualize all of these colors radiating from my body - it was like being attached to a rainbow or having one flow through me. Finally, we were to visualize wrapping our body in a bright white light.  The exercise did create a feeling of calm although at times I had to grab my thoughts that tried to wander.  I still need practice in this meditation and visualization skill.  I would say it was beneficial, but somewhat frustrating due to my busy mind.  Maybe it felt like it moved too slow?  I'm not sure.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Sherry,

    Your goals are just beautiful! I am with you on the physical well-being, to me nutrition and exercising are important.I work out 45 mins a day 3 to 4 times per week. It is hard to make the time, but I am always happier when I do.
    Its good to see the good solid plans and I hope you can achieve it. You seem like a strong woman who will do whatever you put your mind to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherry,

    Your post was well written and easy to understand. Your spiritual goal is definitely reachable and a very good goal. I have tried to read the bible alone and I could never get the full understanding of some of the chapters and verses, so I decided to have bible studies and I have been able to understand the Bible better. Good Luck!

    Dianthe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry, Many of us have some difficulty with our psychological aspects of ourselves. Where you are stronger in your spiritual aspects, I am not. I appreciate your strength and wonder what it is that makes you stronger. Is it practice, like mine with my psychological side. Practice and practice!
    Learning to think positive, have blind faith in our own abilities, and not drag the past into the future. Staying in the present moment, then the next moment. Learning to complete the past when you can't seem to let something go. Completing it can mean having a conversation with someone, journaling, turning it over to your God, or whatever you find gives you a sense of closure.
    Life seems to give us circumstances to practice the area that we most need to improve. I like yourself, have had some difficulties with self esteem and it keeps coming up in my life. I have decided to stop the challenge and be positive:) Lets see if it works. Good luck with your meditation practice, if you give it as much as you do your prayer and spiritual practice, I am sure you will have results.
    Thanks for sharing a great post.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I love your post! I only hope to be as healthy as you when I am your age. I'm on the right path though, I am 34 and am in good health with good cholestrol and blood pressure. I am at a healthy weight and eat right and exercise. I love your goals and I think I'm going to adopt the one to read the bible in a year. That is a great goal.

    ReplyDelete