Wednesday, April 27, 2011

HW 420-02 Unit 6

1.  The universal loving kindness practice was simple and yet effective.  I could feel myself becoming part of a much larger picture.  The repetitiveness of the lines made it easy to keep my focus.  I can certainly see how this mini practice would be easy to incorporate most any time.

2.  The integral assessment exercise was interesting.  At first, my mind was totally blank.  It's as if I asked it a question and got the deer-in-the-headlight look.  Then a "feeling" started to creep in.  It was brought to my attention that my psychospiritual and worldly areas are needing attention.  I learned that although I am practicing meditation and participating in my prayer time, I have not completely surrendered and put my total faith and trust in the wisdom made available.  I still cling to past thoughts, fears, and reactions.  I am making progress, but this area needs attention.  The worldly area is an extension of the psychospiritual.  I put a lot of mental energy into trying to figure out the future rather than enjoying the journey and being grateful for the lessons presented and learned.

The activities I will use for growth in these areas will include continued practice with meditation, continued focused time in prayer including time to listen for the answers or words of wisdom.  I will continue with my daily eccentrics program (a blend of yoga, tai chi, and pilates).  I will practice incorporating mindfulness into everyday life, and I will practice trusting the wisdom within rather than fearing the unknown.

Sherry

Reference:

Dacher, E. (2006). Integral health: The path to human flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA: Basic Health Publications, Inc.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Sherry, Good assesment of the exercises. I really liked how you explained how the thoughts "crept" in. I felt the same way but didn't know how to explain it until I read your post. I think these exercises are to reflect and assess what is imoprtant to our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry,
    I also have chosen to continue my meditation and mindfulness exercises. I often find myself drifting away from the practice and only when life starts to show up negatively do I remember to stop, listen, and pay attention to what is happening around me. When I am more mindful and slow down it seems I enjoy life more, the choices I make are from a mindful space, which for me is from a view of what is best for me and my family.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry,

    HM! I love when you stated you can feel yourself being a part of a bigger picture, starting to move with purpose and that’s an excellent feeling. Being able to understand and grow from your inner strength is truly amazing and not only that you are able to track your progress which enables you to see how far you have come.
    Surrender is a very tough concept then one is able to realize. We walk the earth thinking we are in control until the higher power shows us that we have to be at his mercy when needed. Allowing the flow of energy to accomplish what needs to be done with your energy and having patience for it to manifest is truly a gift and its starts with accepting our ability to surrender.

    Excellent post!

    Krystle Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your post Sherry. I too am struggling with past thoughts, fears, as well as emotions so I can definitely relate. Once we are able to let go and surrender to our inner self we can see that there is still so much to be learned. Keep the faith and stay strong; your fears will teach you if you allow them to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherry,
    I can relate to your struggle. I think we look to the future becaue we care for so many people we want to make sure the plans are in place and rolling forward. It is sometime difficult to stop and think about giving over completely to a higher power, because the tangible external factors are not there. I commend you for knowing where you need to focus and wish you the best on that journey.

    ReplyDelete