Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Unit 4 loving kindness exercise reflection

Hello spiritual journey friends!

This week I listened to Dacher's CD tracks #1 and #2.  I found the exercise to be beneficial in that I had to slow down for 18 minutes, be still, focus my mental energies, and relax.  For the most part, I was able to follow along with the session.  At the end, however, I found my mind wandering off onto various topics.  It became more and more difficult to keep my mind quiet.  For the first 5-10 minutes I did pretty good.  I would recommend this to others as it is relatively easy to participate in the exercise.

The concept of a mental workout is essentially practicing contemplative meditation every day just like someone training for a physical goal would physically work out everyday.  This mental workout will help a person progress in the development and expansion of his/her consciousness and its healing capacities (Dacher, 2006). Research indicates that mental workouts can actually change the brain structurally both in the short-term as well as the long-term.

I can implement mental workouts into my life by taking 15 minutes each morning prior to my daily workout to practice the concepts of loving-kindness.  Taking the time to mentally extend this loving-kindness to myself as well as to others.  I believe this will start my day in the right direction with the right attitudes and foster my psychological health at the same time.  It would be a natural progression to flow into the contemplative practice after my daily bible reading.  This, I believe, will help me absorb what I have learned and allow the love of God to flow to me and through me.

I hope you all have a wonderful week!

Sherry :)

4 comments:

  1. Sherry,
    I find that it takes a conscious effort for me to daily practice meditation. I find myself engaging while sitting at the lake on the weekends, but during my busy week I don't take the time. This exercise has presented itself as a challenge. I have been taking time every evening (so far) and I have found it very relaxing.
    I also have come to realize that in order for me to offer meditation as a suggestions to clients that I should have my practice in better shape. So off I go to dive in and see what happens. Having the chatter in my head become more peaceful is the goal.
    Good luck with your practice,
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, I had just the oppisite problem. I had a hard time focusing in the beginning of the CD not at the end. I felt lighter afterwards because I felt like the world was lifted off of me. I thought the exercise was really relaxing and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My biggest challenge is falling asleep during the meditative exercises... I guess that is a wake up call for me, that I am not getting enough rest and relaxation time in general.(lol) Sometimes I have to play the tape or video three seperate times, because the first two times I fell asleep before completing the exercise.. eventually I get through a whole session, but it is so relaxing... I believe that is its purpose, it is working, I can personally testify to that... it is working..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you will follow reading the Bible with meditation. It is a natural flow. Reading the Bible can also serve the precepts of loving kindness.

    ReplyDelete