The practice this week was that of the subtle mind. I found the experience to be very relaxing and somewhat easier than the practice of loving-kindness. Toward the end it was harder to keep my mind from wandering, but returning my attention to my breathing helped. I love the sound of the water in the background. I felt the practice was less frustrating than the loving kindness practice although a couple of times I thought I was going to fall asleep (Dacher, 2006).
Spiritual wellness is very important for mental and physical wellness. The body is is more than just a collection of physical compounds. The body, mind, and spirit are all connected. The health of one affects the health of the others. I know when my "thinking gets to stinking" it has an impact on my physical wellbeing. When I have a bad attitude or toxic thoughts, I get more aches and pains, more stomach ailments, and get insomnia. When I think positive thoughts and attend to my health and wellbeing, my spiritual life is deeper, richer, more meaningful (Dacher, 2006).
Reference:
Dacher, E. Integral health: The path to human flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA: Basic Health Publications, Inc. Publisher.
Hello Sherry,
ReplyDeleteI have to agree that I enjoyed the subtle mind exercise over the loving kindness exercise. The subltle mind allows you to free your mind and relax. You don't have to concentrate on anything but your breathing. This is an exercise that I will do again
Sherry,
ReplyDeleteI also found the subtle mind exercise to be more rewarding. It is simple and easy to follow. Leaving me with a quiet sense of peace. I enjoy listening to new meditations and have enjoy both of these. Learning to use meditation has helped me so much with my anxiety over the years, it has become a staple in my toolkit.
Thanks for sharing, Keep up the practice!
Hello Sherry, I like this exercise better too. I also almost fell asleep because I was so relaxed. You are right that toxic thoughts can create health issues. Think of what cronic stress can do to people. Those people have no outlet to just let thier mind rest. Everyone should have some way to relax and become more spiritual.
ReplyDeleteHi sherry I love your family picture,
ReplyDeleteI also love the sound of the water in the background Each time you do these practices they bring greater skills and new insights. You feel as if you get something new out them each time you practice.